How to Pick a Locum Tenens Assignment That’s Right for You
If you’re a physician or advanced practice provider on the hunt for a locum tenens opportunity, you’ll want to consider several factors to find an assignment that’s the right fit. Here are 10 factors to consider – along with several questions to ask yourself as you evaluate each opportunity.
- Where is the assignment located?
- Will I be working close to home or traveling across state lines?
- Do my licensure and certification qualify me to work in that state?
- Is the facility a hospital, ambulatory surgery center, private practice, nursing center, etc.?
- What unique features does the facility offer (technological advancements, research opportunities, etc.)?
- Is this facility type aligned with my goals? Will it help me learn, advance my career, reach certain patients, etc.?
Schedule and Stint
- What are the shift hours?
- How long will the assignment last?
- Do I intend to work locums as my primary position or as a part-time/moonlighting opportunity?
- What is the patient volume?
- What is the patient mix?
- Will this assignment help me reach underserved patients?
- What are the practice requirements of this assignment?
- Does my current skillset fit the job?
- If not, what certification/skills can I gain to pursue assignments like this in the future?
- What technology skills are required?
- Am I familiar with the EHR system, or if not, can I pick it up quickly?
- Is this a telehealth position?
Travel and Housing
- How will I get to the assignment, and will the agency pay for my travel?
- What are my accommodation options?
- Can I bring my family or a pet?
Compensation and Perks
- Does the assignment pay well?
- Do they offer weekly direct deposit?
- Are there any perks like professional liability insurance?
- Will the agency help me with licensing and credentialing?
- Will they arrange my travel and housing and help me if I encounter complications?
- Will I have a team working on my behalf to negotiate terms and provide any support I may need on the job?
Ready to jump in and start exploring your options? Find your next locums assignment now.