Every year for the past four years, the National Association of Locum Tenens Organizations (NALTO) has dedicated the second week of August to the recognition and celebration of Locum providers. We join in that celebration of those Locum professionals who dedicate themselves to providing quality care to all of the communities they serve. This year, as COVID surges fill emergency departments and care centers from large, highly populated areas to small rural towns and Indian reservations, we come face to face with why these medical professionals are such a critical part of health service delivery.
From the first rise in inpatient census, we heard from Locum providers who were eager to help. As surges mounted quickly across the northeast and west coasts, facilities partnered with us to provide support and our respected physicians and advanced practitioners rose to the call.
We’ve discussed the benefits of choosing Locums work over traditional career paths as a medical professional: better work/life balance, career flexibility, a chance to explore and avoid lengthy commitments when you prefer not to be locked into a practice setting or facility. But there is another benefit that matters more now than ever before - you can make a difference in one of the most significant healthcare events of our lifetime:
- Temporarily filling absences of staff members recovering or in quarantine
- Providing backup for departments that need to give staff time off to help keep them in the fight for the duration of the pandemic
- Provide shift coverage for providers faced with childcare and school closures
- Support vulnerable rural areas and underserved populations where patient coverage is especially critical
- Help facilities resume elective surgeries for patients forced to wait for non-critical services
You Care for All and We Remain Grateful.
Whether your call to Locums is about lifestyle, or a commitment to serving populations in need of quality care, working as a Locum physician or advanced practice professional can be one of the most significant and rewarding experiences of your career. Your stories from the road inspire us. Your passion for what you do motivates us. Your adaptability drives us.
Happy Locum Tenens Week, from your Team at Cross Country Locums.