How Locum Tenens Can Renew Your Passion for the Practice
How do you currently feel about your medical career?
- Does it seem that each day is an adventure?
- Are you continually learning and growing?
- Do you still find reward in patient interaction?
- Do you feel you’re contributing to the field?
- Do you love the organization and people you work with?
- Is your career expanding?
- Do you have plenty of time for yourself and your family?
- Do you have opportunities to travel?
- Are you as excited about practicing medicine as you were when you left your residency?
If you can answer yes to these questions, congratulations! If you can’t, it might make sense to reroute your career path.
After all you’ve invested, you deserve to be happy in your career! The locum tenens lifestyle might be just the change you need.
Embarking on a New Career in Locum Tenens
Many providers have considered switching to locum tenens but have hesitated for various reasons. For example, making a massive career shift can be unsettling and intimidating. Some providers feel it’s worth remaining in a job they dislike – as long as they have the stability the permanent position offers.
However, if you’re the type of person who simply can’t continue in an unfulfilling direction, it’s worth making the leap. With tens of thousands of physicians and APPs practicing locums and the vast majority of hospitals and health systems using locum tenens support, the risk is minimal and the reward is great.
The Benefits of Launching a Locum Tenens Career
The benefits of working as a locum tenens provider are unmatched. If you decide to be bold and launch your career in locums, you can:
- Enjoy greater work-life balance. Because you can choose when and where you work, you’ll have more time for yourself and your loved ones. Whether your goals are to be more available for your children or step back from a full-time practice without fully retiring, locums could be an ideal fit.
- Avoid burnout by practicing in a new setting. Embarking on a locum tenens assignment is an easy way to mix things up without having to commit long-term. Imagine what moving from an inpatient to an outpatient setting, from in-person care to telehealth, from a private practice to a government clinic would do to rekindle your passion.
- Escape administrative burdens. While you’ll still have to handle electronic health records and the like, you won’t have to deal with all of the work involved in running a practice or working in a long-term permanent position. Locum tenens providers swoop in and swoop out – and that makes “paperwork” life much easier!
- Learn from providers across the nation. If you’ve been practicing alongside the same care team for years, you might want to expand your network. As a locum tenens provider, you can learn innovative methods and procedures from others in various locations across the country. Plus, with each new assignment, you’ll be building a vast network of connections, colleagues and friends.
- Work with new patient populations. If you’ve lost your bedside manner (it’s understandable, especially during the COVID era), you might want to care for a different population. What would it be like to provide care for babies, children, adults or seniors? What about practicing in a big city or in rural health or working with patients seeking specialized versus primary care?
- Pair work and travel. If you embark on locum tenens assignments, you won’t have to grumble, “I need a vacation!” You can fulfill that urge to take a break, get away from it all and travel as you continue to work. You can take assignments near the ocean, mountains, forests, lakes, or rivers. You can even take family along.
- Have a team of experts on your side. If you decide to work with a trusted locum tenens agency, you’ll have access to individuals who are fully focused on making your assignments successful. An effective team can walk you through it all – from finding ideal position and helping with interviewing, licensing and credentialing to arranging housing and travel and getting you oriented for your first day.
Make the new year your impetus to a new career! To learn more about where your skills are needed in exciting locations across the nation, see our locum tenens jobs now.